Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Motorcycles


"Lawmakers are considering a new measure to tone down motorcycle noise, but critics say it won't work any better than previous efforts to quiet machines.

They want one that limits the noise motorcycle mufflers can emit to 106 decibels, according to Sen. Robert Letourneau, a Derry Republican.

The propsed law would ban so-called "straight pipes"... Straight pipes refer to mufflers that lack noise-dampening devices..."

Hmmm. I can't say I would be able to tell the difference in muffler noise levels and I think it'd be silly to expect cops to sit around listening so they can bust people. However, I also think those with motorcycles should be respectful of their own ears and those around them and make smart choices. Perhaps I'm an optimist that people can make better choices on both sides.


To those with motorcycles: Don't get ridiculous. Have enough noise to be safe to distracted drivers, but showing off is just sort of sad.

To those complaining: Everything makes some noise. Are they in front of your house gunning their machines in your yard? Probably not. Maybe don't be so quick to complain.

As for me, I grew up near Main Street in Laconia NH and so I find a certain comfort in the sound of passing motorcycles as I fall asleep on a warm summer night. It reminds me of Bike Week as a child!
Drive Safe and be aware of Motorcycles sharing your roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment