Thursday, June 10, 2010

World Cup


The World Cup 2010 is about to start!

What?! You don't care?! It's not the Superbowl or World Series (which is a silly name really since it doesn't include the entire world)?! Well, I care! And so should you!

I admit, I'm not a huge sports person in general. I personally look forward to the Tony Awards every year! (the awards show for Broadway,which happens to be this Sunday!) I did play field hockey and tennis in high school. But in college my interest in different sporting events basically revolved around the sport that the person I dated watched or played. I still have copies of "Idiots Guide to Baseball and Football."

However, I have come to realize how sports can bring people and countries together in a positive way! So I try to at least make an effort to learn the basics and cheer on the teams! And I happen to be married to a man from South Africa and South Africa happens to be the first country on the continent of Africa to host the World Cup, so I am particularly interested this year!

I understand you may not be married to a South African and therefore not have that personal connection to the country and game. If we ever have kids it will be part of their history, so it's important to me. So why should the rest of you care?!

How about so we, as Americans, can learn that there is an entire world out there with their own histories, problems, and solutions. So that we can also see that in brief moments despite any differences, they come together for a sport! A sport that people of all ages, cultures, and monetary groups can participate in! Education and understanding make the world a more peaceful place to live in!

By learning and taking part of this World Sporting event, we can also help other countries to learn about us. We can help to stop the stereotype that all Americans are obnoxious, egotistical, small minded, loud people. I have traveled all over the world and am often accused of us being like this. (and technically stereotypes come from somewhere?!) Yet, rather than loudly and obnoxiously try to defend us (and prove them right). I simply point out I am American and yet I'm not acting like that... it generally stops there. I show them with my actions and interest in their cultures that we can be pretty cool too!

So, back to the World Cup 2010! Watch a game! Follow the American team! We play our 1st game this Saturday against England. And while you're at it, learn a thing or two about South Africa! It's a beautiful country! Gorgeous coast lines, fabulous wine routes, The Kruger National Park, where you can actually see wild animals in their own habitat!

In fact I will help you, here is a sight I found that has some fun facts about the World Cup:
http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Sports/FIFA-World-Cup-627.htm

And here is one with some fun facts about South Africa:
http://www.funtrivia.com/en/Georaphy/Africa--S-Countries-10520.html

May we all learn a thing or two today and have fun doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment